Winding down now watching the Kids in the Hall.
Last week I finally got a chance to see the cards I did for Irene (which I hadn’t mentioned before now since Irene has been known to read the blog from time to time). This was a big event as it meant I finished something!
Like a starting pitcher I can’t pitch a complete game often so, when I manage to actually finish a personal project it is a momentous event.
The cards look good! Maybe all the research I did into printers was worthwhile (I wound up going with some guys I found in California in the back pages of either Photoshop User or MacWorld). I was really afraid the cards would be cheap looking and that they’d be on thin stock - well they came back with a good gloss to them and the stock while it could’ve been just a shade thicker was good enough for me to be happy.
Of course, the moment after I sent the job out I was thinking about things I would have liked to do with the back of the card (this happens a lot). I think I picked this up from some of the designers I’ve worked with over the years.
Irene seemed happy though and I was glad I came through and finished them for her. At the very least I think I did a good job on them and I think it says something - another thing I probably picked up from the designers I worked with - there is no such thing as a small client (God, I’ve given over to speaking in platitudes).
I wanted to mention this months National Geographic while I had it in mind. There is a great article on Korea which got me thinking about Sung. It talks about the fact that there is a country in Asia where people are still officially at war. Interesting fact was that South Korea has a larger population than the north but, the north has more people under arms (conscription?) than the south.
The geography of Korea is just as important as the conflict, especially when you find the capital of the country lies only 35 miles from the demilitarized zone (Gosh! Only a short tank ride away!).
Sung had mentioned how his dad still had family in the North and how he hadn’t seen them since the Communists came to power. I don’t think people can really understand a thing like that and how it hurts on such a personal level. We just get these headlines vilifying the North and talking about them lobbing nukes into California.
No comments:
Post a Comment